Dinas Railway Station
Dinas is a station on
the narrow gauge Welsh Highland Railway, which was
built in 1877 as the North Wales Narrow Gauge Railway's
Moel Tryfan undertaking to carry dressed slate for
trans-shipment to the LNWR. Passenger services at
the station ceased on 26 September 1936 until which
time Dinas had been
a joint station, known as Dinas Junction with the
LNWR and later the LMS. Years later in December 1964,
Railways closed their part of the station and their
entire line from Caernarfon to Afon Wen which was
subsequently developed as the now very popular Lôn
Eifion tourist cycle route which runs from Bryncir
When the station was reopened in October 1997,
it was as the southern temporary terminus of the extended
and to be restored Welsh Highland Railway from Caernarfon.
The line was extended in August 2000, following the
complete reconstruction of the railway on it original
trackbed, to Waunfawr and in 2003 to Rhyd Ddu. Work
started in 2005 on the final stage of reconstruction
from Rhyd Ddu railway station to Beddgelert and Porthmadog;
the train services are operated by the Ffestiniog
At Dinas, the new narrow gauge platforms are built
on the site of the former standard gauge platforms.
Two buildings survive from the North Wales Narrow Gauge
Railways era: the former goods shed and the original
and carefully restored station building. Dinas station
yards house the Welsh Highland Railway offices, carriage
sheds and locomotive depot as well as extensive civil
engineering works and sidings.
Image: A Welsh Highland Railway train at Dinas station.