The Church was named after Saint Twrog, a nobleman who was associated with St
Beuno. The first chuch was erected in about 550AD.
Most of the traces of the old site were obscured by
present church which was built in 1857 by Lord Newborough,
the landowner of Glynllifon Hall, as a centre-piece
of a new village for his workers.
As in a collegiate
church, some of the pews face each other in the same
way as the old Chapel of St Steven, Westminster which
subsequently established the pattern of the present
House of Commons and House of Lords. Saint Twrog’s
Day is celebrated either on 26th June or 15th August.
The tower of Llandwrog Church is 291 feet high. In the shade of the tower is
the gravestone of Ellis Wyn o Wyrfai, poet, writer
and clergyman 1827 - 1895.
It is an enormous and
thick slab – in fact it is the biggest in the cemetery
a carving of a harp and
two leeks on it. The story goes that the stone was
moved from Moel Tryfan according to the wishes of
Ellis Wyn himself.
Inscribed on it are the
Mae rhyw seiniau
Gwlad yr hedd
Er mwyn cael gair
Rho dy glust
Wrth ddrws y bedd
(Place your ear against the stone to hear the
sweet sound of eternity...)