Chapel before 1890
first sermons were preached in Llwynbedw by Mr D
Griffiths, Talysarn. The first chapel was opened
on 4th July 1823 with a burden of debt. After the
departure of D Griffiths the connection with Talysarn
came to an end - a number of ministers came but none
stayed for long. "There were certain elements
in the place which greatly militated against the
success of the cause." It was united with Pantglas
and Sardis, and Mr Richard W Roberts was ordained,
but soon he went to Clarach and Salem, Cardiganshire.
1857, Mr John Morgan came to keep school - the cause
was at a low ebb - with only three people there.
The chapel was in a ruinous state, and it had large
debts - they could not even pay the interest on the
debt. However J. Morgan was an energetic man - the
chapel was repaired, the system was reorganised and
new trustees were appointed.
interest was paid and £100 of the debt was
paid by Mr Griffiths, Bethel. Scores of members came,
especially after the revival of 1859. In 1866, J.
Morgan went to Cardiganshire. Free
from debt, the decision was made to build a new chapel,
which was, with the benefit of hindsight, too expensive
for the congregation. The members strove to reduce
the debt of £700. The new chapel was opened
on 2nd and 3rd of July 1867. Although the population
of the area was sufficient, it was difficult to keep
a minister. At the end of 1867, Mr John Davies, Coedpoeth
received the call and was ordained on 10th January
1868 but his health deteriorated. He went to Trefriw
as a part-time minister. A local man, Daniel Roberts
went as a minister to Llanberis.
Rev. William B Roberts was born near Conwy about
1836. He went to school in Pontypridd and to the
College in Carmarthen. He went to America straight
after College and was ordained in New York. He returned
to Wales in about 1874 and was appointed to Nasareth
and Pantglas. His wife died, and with many children
he had to struggle hard. He was an able and intelligent
man, but not everyone appreciated his talent. He
developed mental problems in his final months. "Everyone
felt there was something strange about him though
no one felt in danger. In any case, he was found,
having died by his own hand on 2 May 1889. He was
decently buried and those who had known him best
thought kindly of him and he and his orphaned children
were encompassed by great sympathy."
The Chapel today
Chapel and gardens.
view from the Chapel's garden.