it appears that the mountainous area had a similar
density of population to that of the lower part of
the parish, it did not have a place of worship until
the year 1826. But a Sunday School had been held
in a small house called Tan y Fron since 1809. It
then moved to the house of Catrin Salmon which was
near Rhwng y Ddwy Afon. There, the Sunday School
numbers increased, such that it was necessary to
hold it in three houses. These were in the care of
Robert Evans, Cil Llidiart; Hugh Hughes, Caerau and
John Pritchard, Tirion Pelyn.
Image: Nebo Chapel.
school ceased for a time when the Congregational
chapel was built in Nasareth, but the school was
restarted in Maes y Neuadd, and thence to a place
called Pencraig, the home of John Michael (perhaps
a relative of Michael Prisiart). The school was looked
after by him and Gruffydd Williams Taleithin. It
was moved once again to Taldrwst where it was under
the care of Thomas Edwards (the householder), William
Roberts, Buarth y Foty and William Roberts, Cae'r
1825, land was bought for five guineas by Hugh Robert
Ismael, Glan y Gors as a place to build the school
and on that site stands Nebo chapel (Capel Bach)
today. The school-house was built by William Williams,
Tan y Fron, in 1826.
work was supervised by Owen Edwards, Coed Cae Du,
and Evan Roberts, Dolwenith. The first building had
an earth floor and wooden benches as seating. After
the chapel was completed, those who were scattered
were returned; that is to say the members of the
Taldrwst Sunday School, and those who had gone to
Nasareth and Llanllyfni. The first Steward was Richard
Gruffydd, Pen yr Yrfa, but "Asiedydd" in "Cymru" said
that Ellis Roberts of Pant yr Arian was the first.
The first Catechists were John Williams, Pandyhen,
and Hugh Williams, Pen Isa'r Lôn. The first
Precentors were Richard Williams, Maes y Neuadd,
and William Evans, Tal y Maes.
first to preach in Capel Bach was John Williams,
Llechieddior, on a Sunday afternoon in January 1827.
After this, a church meeting was held under the leadership
of one or two of the Llanllyfni deacons.
number in the school in 1828 was 28. Ten years later,
Mynydd Llanllyfni was placed in the same circuit
status was conferred in 1843. This might have happened
a year before were it not for the opposition from
Llanllyfni because of the debt of £700 which
that place owed.
number in the church at its foundation was 36, but
they continued to pay their monthly collection to
Llanllyfni until 1846. This arrangement was made
for the ministry.
would be appropriate to list the prominent men in
the history of the school and the cause at its beginning
who are worthy of remembrance.
Williams, Tŷ Capel
• Hugh Jones, Blaen y Foel
• John Pritchard, Penpelin
• John Williams, Pant y Pistill
• Ellis Roberts, Pant yr Arian
• Williams Pritchard, Tŷ Cerrig
• Hugh Robert Ismael, Glan y Gors
• William Williams, Tan y Fron
• Thomas Jones, Glan Gors
• Robert Williams, Pen Mynydd
• Robert Gruffydd Bryn Person
• Morgan Jones, Tal y Maes
• Owen Morris
• Owen Ellis, Nasareth
• Dafydd Gruffydd Tŷ'r Capel (who was killed
in one of the Nantlle Quarries)
• Williams Roberts Nant y Noddfa (who emigrated
many of the elders mentioned could only read a little,
and it is said of Hugh Robert Ismael that he could
not; but he derived so much pleasure listening to
others that he would never be absent.
numbers were about 64 at this time.
comprehensive list of those who went from Llanllyfni
to Nebo upon its establishment is to be found in "Hanes
Methodistiaeth yn Arfon" by Rev. W Hobley.
Roberts Bodychain and Richard Gruffydd Pen Mynydd
were chosen as Deacons in 1844. They are likely to
be the first two. The first to preach here after
the church was established was a certain Moses Jones
from Llyn who was paid two shillings.
Richards, Bodychain 1844
Williams Garreg Lwyd 1850
Jones, Nasareth 1856
Gruffydd, Bryn Bugeiliad 1859
Jones, Tal y Mignedd 1870
Williams, Glan Gors 1873
Roberts, Tyddyn Hen
W. Jones, Nasareth 1883
Roberts Maes y Neuadd
H. Gruffydd ( Arfonydd)
Hughes, Bryn Ffynnon 1990
Jones (Ieuan Nebo)
Morris (Owain Meuric) 1914
O Roberts, Nant Gwyddil