village developed around an early Christian site. The
present church (which, like most of the village was
designed by Kennedy in 1860) was sponsored by the Newborough
Family. The Tŷ’n Llan Hotel (The Harp) was
built early in the nineteenth century. It is likely
that the row of 'tai uncorn' (traditional
cottages with one chimney) on the road fron Llandwrog
to the main road A499 were erected sometime after 1823.
housing was developed to the west. Despite being an
estate village for employees of Glynllifon without
even a nonconformist chapel, its atmosphere is thoroughly
of its strategic position at the western end of the
Menai Straits, Fort Belan was built in 1776 in case
of attacks by the Americans or the French. The dock
was added in 1824 .
Llandwrog was the largest airfield in Wales from 1941
to 1945 . Caernarfon Airport was developed on part
of the site after the war.
former infirmary and WAAF site were completely modified
by Sain Records to create a studio and offices, and
a second-hand furniture business uses the former No.1
site. There is a small museum at the airport.